Fourth United Nations Special Thematic Session on Water and Disasters and Special Session “Build Back Better from Idai and Kenneth – Lessons Learnt and Actions to Reduce Climate Change Impact in the Future"
Monday, June 24th, 2019 in ECOSOC Chamber
We are delighted to inform you that the 4th United Nations Special Thematic Session on Water and Disasters (STSWD4) will be held on Monday, June 24th, 2019. STSWD4 is the highest-level event globally around this issue and is organized in the United Nations with Indonesia, Japan, Republic of Korea, Mexico, the Netherlands, Tajikistan and the High-Level Experts and Leaders Panel on Water and Disasters (HELP) as co-hosts.
United Nations Special Thematic Sessions on Water and Disasters is the venue where representatives of the member states and diverse stakeholders share the recognition and understanding that addressing the issue of “water and disasters” is a critical element of achieving sustainable development.
As part of STSWD4, the Special Session on Cyclones Idai and Kenneth will be also organized where high-level political figures will call for broader participation of the international community in the efforts of “build back better” from the Cyclone Idai and Kenneth. Experts on water-related disasters will report on the current status and share useful hints on fast recovery and reconstruction.
10:00 am -1:00 pm Opening Plenary / High Level Panel Discussion / Launch of Documents
1:30 pm - 2:45 pm Special Session “Build Back Better from Idai and Kenneth – Lessons Learnt and Actions to Reduce Climate Change Impact in the Future-”
3:00 pm - 6:00 pm Science and Technology Summit to Address Water and Disasters / Special Session on Financing and Investment in Water and Disasters
Confirmed speakers include:
• H.E. Ms. María Fernanda Espinosa Garcés, President of the 73rd Session of the United Nations General Assembly
• H.E. Mr. Carlos Agostinho do Rosário, Prime Minister of Republic of Mozambique
• H.E. Mr. János Áder, President, the Republic of Hungary (Video Message)
• Dr. Han Seung-Soo, Former Prime Minister of the Republic of Korea and Chair of the High-level
Experts and Leaders Panel on Water and Disasters (HELP)
• H.E. Mr. Danilo Türk, former President of Republic of Slovenia/ Chair of the Global High-Level
Panel on Water and Peace
• H.E. Ms. Cora van Nieuwenhuizen, Minister of Infrastructure and Water Management, the
• Honourable July. G Moyo, Minister of Local Government, Public Works and National Housing,
Republic of Zimbabwe
• LTG Mr. Todd Samonite, Chief of United States Corps of Engineers, U.S.A.
• Ms. Olga Algayerova, USG and Executive Secretary, United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE)
• Mr. Bambang Susantono, Vice President of Asian Development Bank
• Dr. Alex Halliday, Director of the Earth Institute, Columbia University, U.S.A.
• Ms. Claire Melamed, Chief Executive Officer, Global Partnership for Sustainable Development Data