The Open Forum is co-organized by the Columbia University Committee on Forced Migration and the NSF Convergence project entitled “Disentangling climate, food security and social factors as drivers of migration in and out of West Africa,” which is developing a transdisciplinary approach to understanding the complex drivers behind internal and international migration in West Africa.
Advance registration required. To attend the Open Forum, please register here.
4:30-6:00 Welcome: Richard Seager, Lamont Doherty Earth Observatory, Columbia University
Chair: Wolfram Schlenker, Columbia School for International and Public Affairs (SIPA)
• Household Livelihoods, Climate Factors and Migration in and Out of Senegal (Papa Faye, Centre d'Action pour le Développement et la Recherche, Senegal)
• The Social Consequences of Environmental Migration in Africa (Valerie Mueller, Arizona State University)
• Climate-induced Migration in West Africa: Findings from the WASCAL Project (Aly Mbaye, Université Cheikh Anta Diop, Dakar, Senegal)
• Moderator: Alex de Sherbinin, CIESIN, The Earth Institute at Columbia
• Papa Faye, Valerie Mueller, Aly Mbaye, Damien Jusselme (International Organization for Migration), Jesse Ribot (American University)
Open Discussion between panelists and the audience