Register as a Smart Commuter and Win
What is a Smart Commuter?
Sustainable Columbia defines a "Smart Commuter" as someone who chooses something other than a drive-alone commute to and from campus. Instead of driving alone, a Smart Commuter chooses a sustainable travel mode such as:
- Public transportation like subway, bus, or ferry
- Carpool or vanpool
- Park and ride
- Work or study from home
- Any combination of the above
- 100% electric or plug-in hybrid electric car
A Smart Commuter must use a sustainable commute mode at least three times per week to qualify.
Columbia understands the importance of doing what we can to reduce traffic congestion, increase travel efficiency, and mitigate our overall environmental impact. About one third of greenhouse gas emissions are derived from the transportation sector.
This program encourages people to think about their commute and consider more sustainable and efficient travel modes, supporting the goals of Columbia’s Sustainability Plan. Those who don't currently qualify as a Smart Commuter can visit the Columbia Transportation website to find resources for choosing a new sustainable commute.
Why designate as a Smart Commuter?
When you self-register as a Smart Commuter and place the badge in your Columbia email signature, you're letting others know that a sustainable commute is important to you. By linking the badge back to the Smart Commuter web page, you are spreading online resources that will help other Columbia travelers find environmentally friendly commute options.
All registered Smart Commuters will be entered in a bi-monthly raffle to win $20 in Columbia Flex Dollars.
Steps to Register
(If you do not plan on adding the badge to your email signature for whatever reason, please do not register for the Smart Commuter program.)
1. Place the badge in your Columbia email signature
- Save the below image to your computer by right clicking on it and choosing Save Image As.
- Embed the image in your email signature, and size the badge to 1.4" wide by 0.6" high. Learn how to add an image to your email signature in Outlook and in LionMail.
- LionMail users may be required to add the image via a link. If this is the case, insert this link into your LionMail signature settings: https://sustainable.columbia.edu/sites/default/files/styles/cu_crop/public/content/final3.png?itok=Fv1C81pg
- Hyperlink the badge to the following URL to spread the word about this initiative and help others discover their sustainable commuting options: https://sustainable.columbia.edu/smart-commuter
2. Fill out the webform below.
If at any time your commute changes such that you no longer qualify under the Smart Commuter conditions, please remove the badge from your email signature and unsubscribe to the bi-monthly raffles by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.